The four-axle ALCO Century 430 was a 3,000 horsepower diesel built
between mid 1966 and early 1968. The C430 was powered by ALCO's 251E 16-cylinder prime mover.
New York Central was
the primary buyer with 10 examples (2050-2059) delivered in December 1967, Seaboard Coast Line rostered three (1275-1277),
Reading had two (5211-5212) delivered in July 1966, and Green Bay & Western Railroad owned one (315) delivered in early 1968.
The SCL trio were ALCO's demonstrator C430s, built in March 1967. According to Robert Sarberenyi's info, Green Bay's single
C430 had no dynamic brakes and Hi-Ad trucks. Hi-Ad trucks were also the shoes on NYC and SCL Century 430s. Reading's C430
pair rode on Type B trucks. Second hand, NYS&W operated Century 430s. Green Bay & Western's C430 resides at the National
Railroad Museum in Green Bay, Wisconsin.